Oregon State University Seafood Research and Education Center

            The Oregon State University Seafood Research and Education Center is an Agriculture Experiment station that was established in Astoria, OR in 1940 and has served the seafood industry for over fifty years.  Since 1989 it has been part of the Coastal Oregon Marine Experiment Station at OSU.  The new Laboratory facility was completed in 1997 and is a 21,000 sq. ft. building of which 15,000 sq. ft. consist of laboratories, pilot plant and office space dedicated to seafood research.  The Seafood Laboratory has state-of-the art laboratory facilities including a food engineering lab, a seafood biochemistry lab and a biosafety level 2 microbiology lab, a tissue culture lab and pilot processing area.  There is a 3,500 sq. ft. pilot plant with several scale-up equipment and operational capabilities.  The pilot plant includes one walk-in refrigerator space and two additional walk-in spaces that can be controlled for either frozen storage or refrigerated storage.